Programs and Services for Seniors in San Antonio, TX
Connecting the community through transportation, art-centered workshops, Dementia focused programming, and socialization opportunities can greatly improve quality of life. Our clients benefit by being able to stay up to date with both medical and non medical appointments, ensuring elder longevity and healthier outcomes.
Senior transportation is essential for maintaining independence, preventing social isolation and for overall good health. Nearly two thirds of the senior population has one to three long term chronic illnesses which results in 5 to 7 trips to the doctor’s office monthly. With so many appointments to schedule, transportation to and from becomes a huge issue for many seniors. This no cost transportation program helps to alleviate that issue. Whether the appointment is a medical appointment with your doctor, a visit to your local senior center or a trip to HEB you can count on Jefferson Outreach to assist.
Senior isolation has become one of the biggest threats to senior health. Studies show that isolated seniors have an increased risk of malnutrition, dementia and depression. This program is designed to help homebound clients, disabled individuals and seniors living alone, remain dignified and independent. By conducting weekly telephone calls and safety checks this program seeks to help participants feel safe in their homes and more connected to their communities.
Senior focused community engagement gatherings which bring together our resources for the greater good of the community through:
- Weekly Art Classes: led by Jefferson Outreach Board members, whom are also longtime local artists. This is a fun, friendly and inspirational space were individual over 60 can create, explore and express themselves.
- Monthly Lunch Bunch: an opportunity for seniors to gather with friends and learn. Jefferson Outreach provides a welcoming space where seniors can freely ask questions and familiarize themselves with community resources and much more.
- SA Amigos Memory Café: for families living with dementia. In partnership with Caring for the Care giver, a UT health sponsored program, Jefferson Outreach hosts this event every second Friday of the month.
- Community outreach and networking meetings: such as the Hispanic Outreach Committee (sub-committee of the Alzheimer association), The Alamo Caregiver Support Coalition, The South Texas Memory Cafe Network Meetings, First Friday Networking, and Tango together dancing.
- Dancing to Live Well with Dementia classes: in which seniors can be creative in an inclusive, safe and dementia friendly environment
- Inspire Community Fine Art Center: to offer ceramic workshops able to provide much needed enrichment for families who would otherwise not have access to such opportunities.
Volunteers from Jefferson Outreach take the time to personalize birthday, holiday and get well cards to be sent to participants. These compassionate gestures may seem small but to many homebound clients it could be the only type of outside recognition or support they receive.
Assistance with food provisions, grocery delivery, or basic daily necessities.